Laser Service & Repair Technician
The Laser Service & Repair Technician is responsible for servicing laser systems for continued set-up and operations through a relationship-based service approach. Position is based in Itasca, IL and is full-time with competitive salary and benefits.
- Initial laser system installation, troubleshooting, and diagnostics.
- In-house technical laser system and application support.
- Support on-site, at customer locations, for all technical issues and welding advice.
- Establishes, develops, and maintains professional business relationships with current customers and prospective customers in the assigned territory to support continued business for the organization’s Laser Plastic Welding products/services.
- Continuous and prompt customer contact via telephone, in-person visits, email, and Teams communication with existing and prospective customers.
- Develops and refines service methods and strategies to contain costs.
- Prepares for and attends exhibits, conferences, meetings, and other local, regional, and national promotional opportunities.
- Fosters positive relations with vendors in the assigned territory (material suppliers, suppliers of ancillary equipment, automation houses, and machine builders).
- Actively participates in the attainment of company goals and objectives for the Leister Itasca office.
- Recommends new ideas, methods, and procedures to enhance operations while carrying out routine functions set forth by the Director of LPW.
- Collaborates with laser lab technician and service technician in the resolution of day-to-day customer and operational issues.
- Keeps abreast of new system and component releases, laser methods, and technical/control changes.
Technical Service/Sales Support:
- Participates in technology review with US & Swiss counterparts identifying industry trends and product requests, enhancements, technical issues, pricing, delivery, and lead times.
- Promotes positive relations with vendors and associations (material suppliers, suppliers of ancillary equipment, automation houses, machine builders, material associations, and market segment associations).
- Establishes and expands technical support network.
- Works closely with direct sales personnel regarding application/product use to better understand service requirements and successful system operation.
- Ensures customer satisfaction throughout territory.
Qualifications, Education and Experience Needed:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering (or associates degree with 5+ year technical field experience).
- Thorough understanding of electrical current, electronics, PC/PLC controls, computers, and general electro-mechanical functions.
- Knowledge of industrial service principles, methods, and techniques.
- Product and industry knowledge relating to automation/production machines.
- Related plastic assembly techniques or laser experience a plus.
- 3-5 years outside service experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both orally and in writing, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of coworkers in a diverse community, fostering a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to negotiate and manage customer related production up-time requirements.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short and long-range goals